This script for a workshop is designed to show you how to use the Voyant Tools text analysis environment. It will run between one and two hours.
- Looking at text tool
- Using an environment of tools
- Try your own text
- Getting help
Look at this Word Cloud.
- What text do you think it is a cloud for?
- What features are metrical (based on measuring the text in some way)? How are the other features generated?
- What words are missing?
Play with it yourself. Or try this cloud for Shakespeare.
Using an environment of tools
Now lets look at this Voyant Display. This is the default skin that combines a bunch of tools that work together. To use this more complex display you need to understand views that combine tools:
- Each tool has a panel that can be minimized/maximized
- Each panel has options
- Each panel has ways you can manipulate it or search it
- Panels will trigger updates in other panels
Try playing with the default environment of Voyant with a single text and then with a Shakespeare Corpus. Note the extra panels when you have a collection of texts.
Try your own text
Voyant gives you a number of ways to index a text for studying it with Voyant:
- You can paste in text.
- You can type in a URL for Voyant to get. For example you could run Voyant on my blog http://theoreti.ca
- You can upload a text.
- You can open one of the corpora we have preloaded using the Open button.
Things to look at
There are a number of extensions and variants of Voyant that you might want to know about:
- http://v1.voyant-tools.org/ is Version 1.0 of Voyant if you liked that more or need some feature there
- http://voyant-tools.org/?lang=fr is a French version of Voyant (there are other language versions coming online as colleagues translate the interface)
- Hermeneutica shows examples of how Voyant panels can be dropped into online essays
- http://voyant-tools.org/dtoc/?corpus=regenerations&curatorId=regenerations is a specialized interface of Voyant for a volume that uses underlying markup
- http://voyant-tools.org/?corpus=humanist&view=scatterplot is a different view with text mining tools
- http://voyant-tools.org/catalogue/cwrc/?facet=facet.extra.collection,facet.author is a large faceted corpus selection tool that launches Voyant on a subset
- http://dream.voyant-tools.org is an interface to create worksets from the TCP EEBO Phase 1 collection
- @VoyantTools see what other people are doing with Voyant on our Twitter feed
The Guide for Voyant is at http://voyant-tools.org/docs/#!/guide/start
The main URL for Voyant Tools is http://voyant-tools.org/, though there are other URLs that can be used:
- http://temp.voyant-tools.org/ is a server used sometimes, but it’s a temporary server so we only turn it on if needed so please avoid linking to it
- https://github.com/sgsinclair/VoyantServer/#voyant-server where you can download Voyant server for your own machine and not depend on our server. This runs locally on your machine.
Follow us on Twiter at @VoyantTools